Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It Was My First Time...

......and it was sooo worth the wait!

I'm not what you'd call a baker. On any level. That Focaccia I made a couple of weeks ago was my first dabble into bread-making. And before you say it, I know....Focaccia isn't really "break-making", but for me, it really was. I rocked that bread too!

So, I thought I'd get somewhat cocky and try making a loaf of white sandwich bread. *In my bread machine* Don't snicker, I'm sure even the likes of Michael Ruhlman didn't start out making his own bacon. It's a process....I'm still learning.

Back to the bread. Wow! Fresh baked bread is a lovely thing. And, quite an easy thing. Why wasn't I making bread before? It took no time to gather the ingredients and throw it all in the machine. Push a button and you're done. Where have I been??

I was so eager to wake up this morning and try some of my bread. I sliced up the whole loaf and toasted 2 slices for my breakfast. Last weekend I had picked up some homemade strawberry preserves from the little Farmer's Market here in town so I slathered a little of that goodness on it, along with a little butter. It was the absolute best toast of my life. I had no idea that the white bread that I've been eating my entire life was not adequate.
And, if you're looking to stretch your grocery dollar, give making your own bread a try. This loaf was no more than 40 cents to make. A far cry from the price you pay at the grocery store!

We're making a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread this afternoon.....wish me luck!

White Sandwich Bread
for bread machines

2 tablespoons warm water
1 cup warm milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3-1/4 cups bread machine flour
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Throw it all in, in this order. Bake according to your machine's directions. Or, just turn the thing on....I didn't have my machine's directions.
This recipe came from King Author's Flour....but I used Pillsbury Bread Flour.

1 comment:

  1. I love your descriptions of the cake you remember and the one you made. Makes me want to whip one up right now.

    ReplyDelete