Thursday, June 4, 2009

I've got a beef with you.

With all the talk these days about how beef & pork are going to kill you faster than a meteor speeding straight for your house, I've been shying away from them both. I'm trying to limit our beef/pork consumption to just once a week. Thinking it would be a piece of cake was wrong. It's harder than I thought it would be. We really like beef and pork....pork more than beef. But, it was time for a good beef burger. I found a homemade BBQ sauce recipe that sounded just delicious and thought about what to put on this burger. In an effort to keep it simple, we opted for big fluffy Kaiser Rolls, double slices of Cheddar Cheese, Homemade Onion Rings and thick-sliced Tomatoes. Doesn't that just scream SUMMER!

I had never made onion rings from scratch before. Not only was it not difficult, they turned out to be the BEST onion rings I've ever had. Crunchy, flaky, golden coating, perfectly cooked onion inside. It made the perfect addition to the burger. I soaked the separated onion rings in milk for 30 minutes before passing them through an egg wash then through heavily seasoned flour. Dropped a handful at a time into 360 degree oil and in a couple of minutes, pulled them out.

Enjoy your grilling season. It's the one thing I often miss about the warmer weather during the winter.


Dinner doesn't have to be complicated to be good. Most of the time, it's the simplest of ingredients that give you the biggest, boldest flavors.

I was often intimidated by people that made these huge elaborate dinners. I thought that had to be ME or else dinner wouldn't be "good". I was so wrong. Dinner just has to be made with love. That's what makes it good!

No comments:

Post a Comment