Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wonders never cease!

Let's not mince words. I'm a horrible baker. It's never been my forte' and quite honestly, I didn't care. I'm a stove-top girl. So, while at the Farmer's Market last weekend, I picked up a very small piece of Focaccia because I just love this bread. I was so unimpressed with the bread I brought home....that was supposedly baked by 5th generation bakers. Hmm, there may have been a "generation gap" when it came to making this particular bread.
I was on a mission. I wanted good Focaccia and I figured the only to get it would be to make it. I sought out a recipe that was:
*simple
*had good reviews
*didn't require ingredients that I didn't have
I found it very quickly. I gave it a try and WOW. I DID IT! I BAKED BREAD! And, it was delicious.










I thought that if I had this beautifully delicious Focaccia, we should also have spaghetti.....









My goodness, dinner was spot-on. I couldn't have asked for a better first bread-baking experience. Here's the recipe, give it a try. Or, if you think you have a better recipe, pass it on. I'd love to try it.
Quick & Easy Focaccia
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
kosher salt
olive oil
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil and black pepper. Mix in the vegetable oil and water.
When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Punch dough down; place on greased baking sheet. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Using your fingertips, poke lots of dents on the top of the dough. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment